Licence / Copyright
Unless otherwise stated, all layers and maps are subject to a CC BY-NC-SA 4.0-licence (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0). If you have any questions or require special licensing for publications, please contact miletgrabung"AT"uni-hamburg.de. We would be very pleased if you would inform us about publications and uses of the layers and maps.
Web Map / Map of Miletus
Since November 2022, the "Map of Miletus" has been publicly available as a dynamic phase plan via the iDAI.geoserver portal:
The map was produced as part of the DFG/ANR project "Forms of Life in the Megapolis: Miletus in the Longue Durée" led by Christof Berns and Julien Zurbach in cooperation with Michael Breuer from the Berlin University of Applied Sciences. The basic data are references to the "Topographical Map of Miletus" by Walter Bendt (1968), the "City Map of Miletus" by Berthold Weber (2003) and numerous individual site plans from publications and research work of the last century. Background data on building types and periodisation were recorded in the excavation database to produce a catalogue of the building stock at Miletus. Data import and formatting are transparently recorded in an online-repository ("Miletus_Buildingcatalogue").
The maps were compiled, referenced, digitised and prepared for publication by Lisa Steinmann and Paula Cardona Villamil in 2021-2022. The Map Guide also contains contributions from other members of the excavation, in particular Alexander Reich and Maurice Thurn.
- W. Bendt, Topographische Karte von Milet (1 : 2000), Milet 2,4 (Berlin 1968)
- B. Weber, Der Stadtplan von Milet, in: J. Cobet – V. von Graeve – W.-D. Niemeier – K. Zimmermann (Hrsg.), Frühes Ionien: eine Bestandsaufnahme; Panionion-Symposion Güzelçamlı, 26. September-1. Oktober 1999, Milesische Forschungen 5 (Mainz 2007) 327–362
Layers of the map "Map of Miletus" and other available resources
- Miletus Surveying Reference Points (online map of the geodetic network with WFS option, see also Surveying on this site)
- The city map of Miletus, by B. Weber, raster, georeferenced (WMS-option and download)
- Coastline of Miletus in different periods (WMS-option and download), according to Helmut Brückner et. al. (last: H. Brückner, Life Cycles of Islands and Harbours. The Case Study of the Maiandros River and the City of Miletos, in: C. Berns – S. Huy (Hrsg.), The Impact of Rivers on Ancient Economies, Archaeology and Economy in the Ancient World 4 ( 2021), doi: 10.11588/PROPYLAEUM.905.; online map edited 2022 by L. Steinmann.
- Digital elevation model of the Milesian Peninsula, raster, georeferenced (WMS-option and download). Base data from and by F. Neupert, Generation of a digital terrain model of the area around Miletus (Turkey) from Pleiades stereo satellite image data (Bachelor thesis Berlin University of Applied Sciences 2020). Edited 2022 L. Steinmann.
- Contour lines in the north of Miletus (WMS-option), based on a digital terrain model created by a team of the Berliner Hochschule für Technik (theses Liske, Wieland, Gardey, Volkov 2016-2017, and most recently Veit Größer 2021 "Erzeugung einer Geodatenbasis zu geodätischen Vermessungen in Milet (Türkei)" supervised by Michael Breuer).